Baxter comments on Logan McGuiness injury, Tyson Cave replacement
Just eight days out from what was supposed to be Logan McGuinness’ return from a debilitating torn ACL, it looks like the Orangeville fighter will have to wait a little bit longer.
Lee Baxter Promotions took to their Instagram page to announce that McGuinness (25-1-1) had suffered an injury and would be replaced with Nova Scotia’s Tyson Cave (30-3-0).
FightOn was able to confirm the news. Through further discussions, we were able to confirm that the injury is related to McGuinness’ surgically-repaired knee.
“Throughout training camp, he had been having numbness in his leg,” said Lee Baxter of Lee Baxter Promotions. “When he saw the specialist last week, they said he needed a lot more time to rest it off, he’s not ready.”
The specialist told McGuinness that he will need another four to six weeks of rest for the knee before he can resume training. Baxter added that a late spring or summer return could be in the cards, but that McGuinness’ days of headlining as a Lee Baxter Promotions fighter could be over.
“We don’t really know,” Baxter said of McGuinness future as a professional fighter. “I definitely think building a show around him in the future is probably not an option. I think the first comeback fight, if it’s a comeback soon, will have to be on the road where there’s not much at stake.”
Because of the injury, the previously scheduled co-main event of Alex Dilmaghani (16-1-1) against Andy Almendras (14-7-1) will now serve as the main event.
Cave, who is replacing McGuinness against Ulises Perez, was already in camp for a fight on the East coast that fell through. With preliminary talks in place for a potential fight between Dilmaghani and Cave for late in 2018, it made sense from Baxter’s perspective to have Cave come in and fight someone Dilmaghani previously defeated.
“There’s been potential talks with Alex (Dilmaghani) and Tyson (Cave) squaring off towards the end of the year; the stars kind of aligned,” Baxter said. “He’s happy he gets a fight, we’re putting him in against a guy that Alex walked through, so there’s a comparable there.”
Cave gained worldwide notoriety after a 2014 ESPN Friday Night Fights bout against Oscar Escandon for the interim WBA World Super Bantamweight title. Cave lost via controversial split decision, which sent famed trainer and commentator Teddy Atlas into a tirade (Atlas had the bout 118-110 for Cave) that went viral in the sports world.
Since then, Cave has put together six straight wins including five stoppages, but has not received another major championship opportunity.