Luis-Kambosos Jr. is off, says Luis
Tony Luis was looking forward to one of the biggest opportunities of his professional boxing career, a fight against highly-regarded George Kambosos Jr. scheduled for April 11.
Now, that fight appears to be no more.
Luis turned to his Facebook account to announce that the bout had been cancelled for what he called “red tape shenanigans with regards to pre-fight medicals.”
“I was in the process of completing all my medicals and was going to provide it all by the end of this week,” Luis said via Facebook. “Apparently we missed a “deadline” which was never specified in the contract.
He went on to say that the Kambosos Jr. camp was looking to postpone the fight to a new date, which would require another training camp. Luis said that Liveco., his promoter, offered to do the fight in Canada, but Kambosos Jr. refused.
The bout would have been a WBA title eliminator, moving the winner into a top 10 position in the organization’s lightweight rankings. Instead, both fighters now appear likely to move on from the bout.
“My team is working hard to get me back in the ring very soon,” Luis concluded. “We won’t dwell, we move forward.”
Liveco has an event scheduled for March 24 in Toronto, with no dates announced past that. They have run three successful shows in Cornwall in 2017.
Neither Liveco or Whack Promotions, Kambosos Jr.’s promoter, have commented on the cancellation.