Adonis Stevenson, Badou Jack battle to entertaining draw in Toronto
It was the biggest boxing fight Ontario had seen in nearly 50 years, and while the action was breathtaking, the result left some disappointed.
Defending WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson battled challenger Badou Jack to an entertaining majority draw. Scores were 114-114, 114-114, and 115-113.
Stevenson dominated the first half of the four, controlling the ring and using his body work to win the early rounds. Jack looked tentative to engage, attempting to avoid the ferocious power that Stevenson can become known for.
In the seventh round, things began to turn. Jack, having proven to himself that he could withstand Stevenson’s power, began to open up.
On numerous occasions throughout the second half of the bout, Jack had Stevenson in trouble as the Swede dominated rounds seven through nine.
In rounds 10 and 11, Stevenson found a second wind. He was landing effective body punches that pushed Jack onto the ropes.
The final round gave everyone in attendance what they wanted. With the crowd on their feet, Stevenson and Jack stood toe-to-toe in what proved to be an incredible round of action. In the final seconds, Jack hurt Stevenson, who was forced to hold on to finish the fight.
Both fighters felt they did enough to win, but ultimately were forced to settle for a draw.
Ontario-based fighters Kane Heron and Nick Fantauzzi both had to go through hell and back to escape with their undefeated records in tact.
In the opening bout of the night, Fantauzzi had to pick himself up off the mat in the second round to ultimately stop Stephen Clement in the third round.
Fantauzzi ran his record to 5-0.
Heron was pulled into the deep end of a gruelling affair against Mexico’s Ivan Alvarez.
The taller Alvarez used his reach and height to keep Heron at bay in the opening rounds. In the middle rounds, the clever Heron was able to start finding his range and land some significant combinations.
By the seventh, Heron looked to be out of energy as Alvarez started to land the better punches in the latter part of the bout.
Ultimately, both fighters had to settle for a majority draw.
- Adonis Stevenson fought Badou Jack to a majority draw
- Oscar Rivas def. Herve Hubeaux boa unanimous decision
- Kane Heron fought Ivan Alvarez to a majority draw
- Mikael Zewski def. Diego Gonzalo Luque via unanimous decision
- Christian Mbilli def. Marcos Jesus Cornero via. TKO (corner stoppage) in the third round
- Patrice Volny def. Janks Trotter via first round KO
- Sebastien Bouchard def. Sladan Janjanin via second round TKO
- Kristian Prenga def. Ricardo Humberto Ramirez via third round TKO
- Mazlum Akdeniz def. Lloyd Reyes via second round TKO
- Nick Fantauzzi def. Stephen Clement via third round KO
Photo credit: Cay North